COMEDY ON YOUR FEET
This popular Coterie class steps up your comedy game as students explore the wide-open world of improvisation. Students new to improv will learn the framework needed for successful comedy and alumni will sharpen their comedic skills as they learn about comedy, creating character, and dramatic action. This class offers an opportunity for consideration in The Coterie’s Comedy Master Class.
For Grades 7th-10th:
- July 13-17: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – Overland Park IN-PERSON
Combined with Funny Bones for one amazing improv class with grades 7-10
Dustin Reckling is a recent graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University with degrees in Theatre Arts and English. Recently, he has been in productions of Much Ado About Nothing, Nell Gwynn, and The Lifespan of a Fact. Dustin enjoys seeing the young and young at heart's eyes light up at the magic of live performance and wants to share his passion with The Coterie's students.
Dustin will teach a combined Comedy On Your Feet & Funny Bones: Intro To Improv
Grades 6-10 June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Dustin will teach Comedy On Your Feet
Grades 8-12 July 13-17 - Miller-Marley (Overland Park) Site
Michael T. Oakes is an acting MFA candidate at UMKC from Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. He recieved his bachelor's degree from Lake Superior State University, where he had the opportunity to perform in shows such as boom, Good Kids, and Wakey, Wakey. The last of which was in the North International Fringe Festival in its debut year. This is his first year as a teacher with The Coterie.
Michael will teach Comedy On Your Feet July 6-10 - Liberty Community Center Site
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play