FUNNY BONES: INTRO TO IMPROV
Get your funny started as you begin to learn all about comedy and improv! This fun and fast-paced class introduces young actors to the wide-open world of improv comedy. Students will develop skills in spontaneity, listening, creativity, storytelling, and collaboration building acting skills as they explore their silly side!
For Grades 7th-10th:
- July 13-17: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – Overland Park IN-PERSON
Combined with Comedy On Your Feet for one amazing improv class with grades 7-10!
Sarah Meade is a recent Kansas City transplant. Originally from Roanoke, Virginia, she earned her degree in Theatre at Radford University in 2014 and has been teaching kiddos ever since! From summer camp to Shakespeare, Sarah firmly believes that any kid can benefit from the magic of the theatre.
Sarah will teach Funny Bones: Intro To Improv June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Jazlyn Epps is extremely excited to join The Coterie's teaching artist program! She recently earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre at Avila University where she was seen as Crystal in Little Shop of Horrors and Officer Lockstock in Urinetown. She is currently involved in the DSHP program with the Coterie theatre. Although her passion is singing and acting, she is extremely passionate on sharing her love for the arts to all ages and educating others on mental health awareness. She has also been involved in two placed short films in Kansas City's 48 Hour Film Festival. Jazlyn is so anxious to get started and making her mark here in Kansas City on the stage and in classrooms.
Jazlyn will teach Funny Bones: Intro To Improv
Grades 5-7 July 6-10 - Staley High (Northland) Site
Katia Milazzo is thrilled to be a teaching artist at The Coterie Theatre! She is currently studying at the University of Missouri-Kansas City for a BA in English with a Minor in Theatre, directs at the City Theater of Independence for the Playwrights Festival and also directs musicals at Nativity of Mary Theater such as; The Little Mermaid, The Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, and Seussical! She has a passion for theatre and music and an even deeper love for teaching it. Having been both on stage and off since she was little, but recently developed a love for the magic of directing and bringing a production to life!
Katia will teach Funny Bones: Intro to Improv June 13-17 - Overland Park Site
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play