IN AND OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Jump into our rocket ship and let’s travel through time to all sorts of amazing destinations. We’ll use our imaginations to travel to see the dinosaurs, the pyramids in ancient Egypt, and even the future! Every class will be a journey to a different location with new adventures in store!
For Grades K-2nd:
- July 20-24: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – VIRTUAL
For Grades 1st-2nd:
- July 13-17: 8:30am-11:30am (CDT) – Pembroke IN-PERSON; - CLASS FULL!
Michelle Staub graduated from the University of Kansas with a Bachelor of Arts in Dance. Before joining The Coterie she toured nationally with The Omaha Theatre Company, taught and directed at Performer's Edge Academy in Omaha, NE, as well as various theatrers in the Kansas City Metro. Her specialties are creative drama, musical theatre choreography, and youth musical directing. She loves learning from and creating with her students!
Michelle will teach In And Out Of This World! June 15-19 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Bethany Vermillion is a playwright, actress, director, costume designer, and teacher who just graduated with a BA in Theatre from Southwest Baptist University. Bethany has worked as a teaching assistant at the Starlight Theatre and an intern for Kansas City Young Audiences. During college, Bethany worked as the costume shop supervisor for her theatre, and designed costumes for four shows including Inventing Van Gogh and The Importance of Being Earnest. She also acted in several shows, including the title role in Medea, and Lucy in You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown. After being chosen as a student director, Bethany directed SBU’s production of Wit. Her original play, For Such a Time as This, was a regional semi-finalist for the John Cauble Short Play competition at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival in 2018, and premiered on the SBU stage in April 2019. Outside of college productions, Bethany wrote, produced, and starred in a modern-literary web series adaptation of Little Women called The Attic Series. This fall, Bethany will continue pursuing her education through the Arts Leadership in Management Master’s program with Wichita State University.
Bethany will teach In and Out of This World! July 13-17 - Pembroke Hill Site
Lauren Mylin is a teaching artist, director, dancer teacher, and choreographer. She is very excited to be back home in Overland Park after graduating from Oklahoma City University with a BFA in Theatre and a minor in Children’s Theatre and directing. Lauren is especially elated to begin her next chapter teaching with The Coterie Theatre! She has had the pleasure of performing at Disney World’s Epcot with the Miller Marley Entertainers and for the Plaza lighting ceremony; her greatest passion is to work with kids in a creative and friendly environment. She’s worked with the The Atlanta Children’s Theatre as a teaching artist and the Oklahoma Children’s Theatre as a stage manager and teaching artist, Princess Belle for parties and fundraisers, and performing as the Fish in Dr. Suess’ classic, The Cat in the Hat. In her free time, she loves to spend time with her family and two weenie dogs (Godiva and Nougat), read plenty of books, and to go on adventures and explore places with friends.
Lauren will teach In And Out Of This World! July 20-24 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play