Get ready to make up some wild, zany, and just plain silly characters in this physical comedy class. Focus all that goofy energy you have into creating new scenes and characters as you learn what makes people laugh. Laugh yourself silly with your new friends!
For Grades 3rd-5th:
- July 27-31: 12:30pm-3:30pm (CDT) – Liberty IN-PERSON
Lacy Cunningham is a teaching artist, director, teacher, playwright, and Education Assistant for The Coterie. She graduated from Kansas State University in 2007 with a BA in Theatre and also holds a MA in Education through Avila University. Lacy has been coaching, directing, choreographing, and designing productions for middle and high school theatre for years; her greatest passion is to hep develop a creative spark in youth of all ages. In her free time, she loves to explore improvisational acting, write one-act scripts, and do yoga.
Lacy will teach Inside Jokes June 15-19 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Erdin Schultz-Bever is an actor and teaching artist in KC and Lawrence. A recent graduate from University of Evansville, in Indiana, with her degree in Theatre Performance, she has performed with Fishtank Theatre on projects including Belfast Girls and Dry Land, and worked with the Unicorn Theatre as a Literary Intern and Production Assistant. In addition to teaching with The Coterie, Erdin has also taught with the Lawrence Arts Center, Kansas City Young Audiences, and Raintree Montessori School. She has trained in with SITI Company and Anne Bogart in Viewpoints and Suzuki movement for theatre, and completed a residency with Cornerstone Theatre Company on their community-engaged production of Ghost Town, in Venice, CA.
Erdin will teach Inside Jokes June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Nina Lopez earned her Bachelor of Science in Education for Speech Communication and Theatre from the University of Central Missouri. She also holds a minor in dance and in theatre. Upon graduating college, Nina began teaching at a brand new school in Olathe, KS, called Summit Trail Middle School. She had the absolute honor and privilege to start a brand new theatre program from scratch, as a first-year teacher. In her free time, Nina enjoys singing karaoke, seeing plays and musicals, and spending time with her family and fur babies. Nina's entire life has always centered around theatre, and she is absolutely ecstatic to be joining The Coterie team!
Nina will teach Inside Jokes July 27-31 - Liberty Community Center Site
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play