WELCOME TO MUSICAL THEATRE
If you like acting, singing, and dancing, then musical theatre is for you! In this class you will perform showstoppers from Broadway and The Coterie stage. We’ll learn songs that will bring you around the world and right back home from some of the most popular Broadway shows, such as Beetlejuice, Spamalot, Hamilton, and more. Students will spend the week exploring character, learning choreography, and singing as an ensemble under the direction of an expert musical theatre actor and a professional accompanist. Students will perform as a chorus for family and friends during the final class.
For Grades 6th-10th:
- July 20-24: 9:30am-11:30am (CDT) – VIRTUAL; Register at pembrokehill.org
Sarah Mae Lamar is a native of Kansas City, with degrees in Vocal performance and Theater Education from Mid America Nazarene University and Kansas State University. She has performed in and produced musical theater all over Kansas City for the past seven years. Some of her local professional credits include shows at Starlight, Musical Theater Heritage, Quality Hill Playhouse, and The New Dinner Theater. Sarah also spent a year singing at a dinner theatre in Aspen, Colorado, and a summer with the Lyceum Theatre in Arrowrock, Missouri. Some of her favorite roles include: The Homeless Lady in A New Brain, Anna Murrant in Street Scene, and the Stepmother in Into the Woods. Sarah Mae has recently started her Master’s degree in Liberal Arts with a Theatre emphasis to pursue teaching at the collegiate level. She is thrilled to start with Donnelly College as an adjunct professor in October.
Sarah Mae will teach Welcome To Musical Theatre June 15-19 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Michelle Staub graduated from the University of Kansas with a Bachelor of Arts in Dance. Before joining The Coterie she toured nationally with The Omaha Theatre Company, taught and directed at Performer's Edge Academy in Omaha, NE, as well as various theatrers in the Kansas City Metro. Her specialties are creative drama, musical theatre choreography, and youth musical directing. She loves learning from and creating with her students!
Michelle will teach Welcome To Musical Theatre
June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
July 6-10 - Liberty Community Center Site
Shawna Downing is a 2012 graduate of Avila University with a BFA in Musical Theatre and a BA in Communications. She continuously works as a professional actor and teaching artist with various youth-centered organizations in Kansas City. Shawna has been seen on many Kansas City stages including The Coterie, Unicorn Theatre, Mesner Puppet Theater, Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre, Theatre for Young America, and KC MeltingPot Theatre. Shawna loves to spend her time, energy, and free spirit being an educator, laughing, eating, and giving back. She lives to create and perform quality work that inspires, entertains, and educates.
Shawna will teach Welcome to Musical Theatre July 20-24 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play