THIS IS NOT A BOX!
When is a box not a box? When it’s a sailboat or a lion or a robot or anything at all! Let your imagination run wild as you take everyday objects and use them to create a world full of amazing adventures. Join us and transform the ordinary into something extraordinary!
For Grades K-2nd:
- July 13-17: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – Northland IN-PERSON; Register at nkcschools.org - Call Coterie registrar 816-474-4241 and leave a message for wait list!
- July 27-31: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – Liberty IN-PERSON - REGISTRATION CLOSED
Lauren Mylin is a teaching artist, director, dancer teacher, and choreographer. She is very excited to be back home in Overland Park after graduating from Oklahoma City University with a BFA in Theatre and a minor in Children’s Theatre and directing. Lauren is especially elated to begin her next chapter teaching with The Coterie Theatre! She has had the pleasure of performing at Disney World’s Epcot with the Miller Marley Entertainers and for the Plaza lighting ceremony; her greatest passion is to work with kids in a creative and friendly environment. She’s worked with the The Atlanta Children’s Theatre as a teaching artist and the Oklahoma Children’s Theatre as a stage manager and teaching artist, Princess Belle for parties and fundraisers, and performing as the Fish in Dr. Suess’ classic, The Cat in the Hat. In her free time, she loves to spend time with her family and two weenie dogs (Godiva and Nougat), read plenty of books, and to go on adventures and explore places with friends.
Lauren will teach This Is Not a Box! July 6-10 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
Allison Nissley is a teaching artist, performer, director, and a lover of theatre for young audiences. She graduated from Northwest Missouri State University with a Bachelor of Science in Theatre Performance. Understanding the importance of being a well-rounded theatre artist, Allison has had experience with technical theatre focusing on scenic construction, and sound design, as well as directing and performance coaching. Some of her favorite roles as a performer have been in touring productions for elementary schools: The Snow Queen, Fishing for a Change, and Impawssible Pals.
Allison will teach This Is Not a Box! July 13-17 - Staley High (Northland) Site
Dustin Reckling is a recent graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University with degrees in Theatre Arts and English. Recently, he has been in productions of Much Ado About Nothing, Nell Gwynn, and The Lifespan of a Fact. Dustin enjoys seeing the young and young at heart's eyes light up at the magic of live performance and wants to share his passion with The Coterie's students.
Dustin will teach This Is Not a Box! July 27-31 - Liberty Community Center Site
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play