THE WAY OF THE FORCE
Come to the outer reaches of the galaxy as we explore exotic locations from the Star Wars universe. Create your own characters to fly starfighters and hone your lightsaber skills, whether you’re a member of the Resistance or part of the First Order. May the Force be with you!
For Grades 3rd-5th:
- July 13-17: 12:30pm-3:30pm (CDT) – Pembroke IN-PERSON; Register at pembrokehill.org - CLASS FULL!
- July 20-24: 9:00am-12:00pm (CDT) – Northland IN-PERSON; Register at nkcschools.org
- July 20-24: 12:30pm-3:30pm (CDT) – VIRTUAL
Katia Milazzo is thrilled to be a teaching artist at The Coterie Theatre! She is currently studying at the University of Missouri-Kansas City for a BA in English with a Minor in Theatre, directs at the City Theater of Independence for the Playwrights Festival and also directs musicals at Nativity of Mary Theater such as; The Little Mermaid, The Wizard of Oz, Aladdin, and Seussical! She has a passion for theatre and music and an even deeper love for teaching it. Having been both on stage and off since she was little, but recently developed a love for the magic of directing and bringing a production to life!
Katia will teach The Way Of The Force June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Class
Anna Sell, a Kansas City native, is a recent graduate of Nebrasksa Wesleyan University, receiving her BFA in Directing with a minor in communications. During her time there, Anna was able to direct plays that included Tribes, Crimes of the Heart and many more. She has also taken part in many productions as a stage manager, including Death of a Salesman, and Bridges of Madison County. Anna is excited to be back at the Coterie as a Teaching Artist after having been a student with them for many years. She loves working with kids and finds joy in finding time to laugh and learn with them! Anna believes that theatre is about collaborating and learning from each other!
Anna will teach The Way Of The Force July 6-10 - Liberty Community Center Site
Lauren Mylin is a teaching artist, director, dancer teacher, and choreographer. She is very excited to be back home in Overland Park after graduating from Oklahoma City University with a BFA in Theatre and a minor in Children’s Theatre and directing. Lauren is especially elated to begin her next chapter teaching with The Coterie Theatre! She has had the pleasure of performing at Disney World’s Epcot with the Miller Marley Entertainers and for the Plaza lighting ceremony; her greatest passion is to work with kids in a creative and friendly environment. She’s worked with the The Atlanta Children’s Theatre as a teaching artist and the Oklahoma Children’s Theatre as a stage manager and teaching artist, Princess Belle for parties and fundraisers, and performing as the Fish in Dr. Suess’ classic, The Cat in the Hat. In her free time, she loves to spend time with her family and two weenie dogs (Godiva and Nougat), read plenty of books, and to go on adventures and explore places with friends.
Lauren will teach The Way of the Force July 13-17 - Pembroke Hill Site
Melissa Trierweiler is an actor, director, and teaching artist based in Kansas City, MO. She is originally from Columbia, MO, where she received a BFA in Theatre Arts from Stephens College in 2016. Since her graduation she has worked as a professional teaching artist and director at many places including TRYPS Children’s Theatre Institute (Columbia, MO), Presser Arts Center (Mexico, MO), and of course The Coterie Theatre here in Kansas City! She has taught many different ages of students, ranging from three years old to college aged! She has also directed full length plays and musicals including Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Dinosaurs Before Dark: Kids! When not teaching or directing, Melissa also loves to perform onstage as an actor and singer! She has been seen in a few local productions, her favorites include The Belfast Girls at Fishtank Theatre and Mirrors: A Staged Reading with Bodhi Theatre. She has also performed at the Okoboji Summer Theatre and the Boji Bantam Children’s Theatre in Iowa since leaving college. When not teaching, Melissa can still be found working at The Coterie as a box office assistant, house manager, and peer educator with the Dramatic STD/HIV Project.
Melissa will teach The Way Of The Force July 20-24 - Staley High (Northland) Site
Dustin Reckling is a recent graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University with degrees in Theatre Arts and English. Recently, he has been in productions of Much Ado About Nothing, Nell Gwynn, and The Lifespan of a Fact. Dustin enjoys seeing the young and young at heart's eyes light up at the magic of live performance and wants to share his passion with The Coterie's students.
Dustin will teach The Way Of The Force July 20-24 - Live & Interactive Virtual Session
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play