UNDER THE SEA
Dive down to the bottom of the ocean and swim among all of your favorite creatures in the deep blue sea. Together we will create characters, tell stories, and sing music from under the sea, including the musical Disney’s The Little Mermaid. Actors will work together to embark on fun under the sea adventures!
For Grades K-2nd:
- July 13-17: 12:30pm-3:30pm (CDT) – Liberty IN-PERSON
Lauren Mylin is a teaching artist, director, dancer teacher, and choreographer. She is very excited to be back home in Overland Park after graduating from Oklahoma City University with a BFA in Theatre and a minor in Children’s Theatre and directing. Lauren is especially elated to begin her next chapter teaching with The Coterie Theatre! She has had the pleasure of performing at Disney World’s Epcot with the Miller Marley Entertainers and for the Plaza lighting ceremony; her greatest passion is to work with kids in a creative and friendly environment. She’s worked with the The Atlanta Children’s Theatre as a teaching artist and the Oklahoma Children’s Theatre as a stage manager and teaching artist, Princess Belle for parties and fundraisers, and performing as the Fish in Dr. Suess’ classic, The Cat in the Hat. In her free time, she loves to spend time with her family and two weenie dogs (Godiva and Nougat), read plenty of books, and to go on adventures and explore places with friends.
Lauren will teach Under The Sea June 22-26 - Live & Interactive Virtual Class
Melissa Trierweiler is an actor, director, and teaching artist based in Kansas City, MO. She is originally from Columbia, MO, where she received a BFA in Theatre Arts from Stephens College in 2016. Since her graduation she has worked as a professional teaching artist and director at many places including TRYPS Children’s Theatre Institute (Columbia, MO), Presser Arts Center (Mexico, MO), and of course The Coterie Theatre here in Kansas City! She has taught many different ages of students, ranging from three years old to college aged! She has also directed full length plays and musicals including Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Dinosaurs Before Dark: Kids! When not teaching or directing, Melissa also loves to perform onstage as an actor and singer! She has been seen in a few local productions, her favorites include The Belfast Girls at Fishtank Theatre and Mirrors: A Staged Reading with Bodhi Theatre. She has also performed at the Okoboji Summer Theatre and the Boji Bantam Children’s Theatre in Iowa since leaving college. When not teaching, Melissa can still be found working at The Coterie as a box office assistant, house manager, and peer educator with the Dramatic STD/HIV Project.
Melissa will teach Under The Sea July 13-17 - Liberty Community Center Site
- Led by staff of trained, professional teaching artists
- Designed to engage students intellectually, emotionally, and physically
- No larger than 10 students for grades K-2 & 3-5, and 12 students for grades 4-6 and above, allowing teaching artists to see and respond to every student and encourage active participation
- Use process-based lesson plans which focus on the growth of each student individually and establish a foundation critical for all future training
- Inspire students of all ages to express themselves, occupy their imaginations, and help add structure and positivity to their week
- Challenge older students to hone their acting talents with instruction and attention from a theatre professional working in the field
- Teach important life skills that will be useful to any growing mind, whether or not acting may be in their future
- Will adhere to the health and safety protocols detailed here
- Enrollees need only to have access to a smart phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer with a camera & microphone, and an internet connection
- Parents of younger children are encouraged to participate in the class for fun, interactive play