The Young Playwrights’ Roundtable is an invitation-only teen writing club. Nominated students who have participated in The Coterie’s Reaching the Write Minds in-school playwriting workshops are interviewed by Artistic Director Jeff Church in order to receive an invitation to the Roundtable, which is composed of mostly high school aged students.
The Coterie's Roundtable is a peer-feedback-driven writing club that meets throughout the school year, approximately every other Sunday afternoon. Our artistic director is the facilitator of the Roundtable, and, once selected for the Roundtable, members may stay on until they graduate from high school (as long as their attendance and participation is maintained).
Each spring, a Young Playwrights' Festival is assembled to create a collection of plays that have been developed during the year performed in a staged reading format. Jeff Church selects plays that he feels are ready to be heard (be they short plays or excepts of longer plays). He chooses plays that are representative of the type of work generated during the year. To perform in the staged readings of these play, The Coterie draws on Roundtable members as actors in the pieces. Professional directors are utilized, coordinated by Coterie Education Director Amanda Kibler.
The club dues suggested will help defray costs associated with The Coterie's Young Playwrights' Roundtable and the spring festival of new work.
Suggested Club Dues: $30 Donation per Semester
Young Playwrights' Festival
Sunday, May 5, 2019 @ 7:00pm
Tickets $5 (Roundtable members free with advance reservation)
- Sincerely Me by Sydney Walker, Grandview High
- Box - Now 20% Off by Reilly Donnelly, St. Teresa's Academy
- Knowledge is Power by Conner Yamnitz, Blue Springs South High
- It's Called Fashion, Look It Up by Kimberly Girkin, Laurel Springs Online
- Song: "Jim's Own Boogie" by Cam Burns, Lansing High
- Chills by Megan Bogner, Shawnee Mission South High
- The Trickey Trials by Ava Wolesky, Liberty North High
- A Dollar by Jaelyn Stevens, Washington High